Yes, you will. Have to jump.

. . . Through Federal Court hoops.

You have cancer. And you believe you deserve money from the federal government because you got cancer from drinking water at Camp Lejeune. But you will still have to jump through hoops to get all the money you deserve.

What hoops?

The Camp LeJeune Justice Act passed the Senate a few days ago. The President is expected to sign it into law in a few days. This new law gives certain veterans and civilian employees who drank contaminated water at Camp Lejeune (from 1953-1987) the right to collect money damages in Federal Court. But it has to be done like this: Step No. 1: File using the right form (within the time allowed) under federal law 28 USC §2675. Disposition by a federal agency is a prerequisite to going into court. The first place that evidence has to be submitted is not a courthouse. “(a) An action shall not be instituted upon a claim against the United States for money damages for injury or loss of property or personal injury or death caused by the negligent or wrongful act or omission of any employee of the Government while acting within the scope of his office or employment, unless the claimant shall have first presented the claim to the appropriate Federal agency and his claim shall have been finally denied by the agency in writing and sent by certified or registered mail. The failure of an agency to make final disposition of a claim within six months after it is filed shall, at the option of the claimant any time thereafter, be deemed a final denial of the claim for purposes of this section.” Step 2, filing a lawsuit in Federal Court, comes after that.

What Maine Attorney knows how to help me on this?

I’m writing this because I have experience and like working on cases brought under 28 USC §2675. I’ve filed the necessary claims form to institute an action for clients against the United States for money damages caused by the negligent or wrongful act or omission of an employee of the Government while acting within the scope of his office or employment for the government.

As a Maine attorney, and a member of the Federal Bar Association, (and an RN) I have helped others (including those with cancer) go through the 28 USC §2675 process, meeting deadlines, using the right forms, attaching the right medical evidence and making sure the claim is filed with right agency. The nursing background helps me, as your advocate, understand what you are going through, and the medicine, and where the proof is hidden in your medical records. But it also helps your case that I started out in the law as a federal law clerk, and that I enjoy litigating in federal court just as much as in state court.

Briggs & Wholey, LLC 207-596-1099

Waiting won’t help. Call if you think you have cancer, kidney disease, leukemia or Parkinson’s disease from drinking water at Camp Lejeune before 1987. There’s no charge to speak with me to see if you might qualify to bring a claim. Alison Briggs, Briggs & Wholey, LLC.