Personal Injury Attorneys
The personal injury lawyers at Briggs & Wholey are committed to protecting the rights of Maine people and families who have been injured by the negligence of others. We are one of the select few law firms in the state of Maine to specialize exclusively in personal injury cases. Our personal injury attorneys provide the highest quality legal representation to accident victims to help them recover fair compensation for their injuries and hold negligent property owners, corporations, and others responsible for the harms they inflict on others.
Personal injury claims based on negligence can involve any of the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Boating accidents
- Dangerous or defective products
- Unsafe premises
- Dog attacks
- Negligent security
- Negligent supervision
- Medical negligence
- Nursing home negligence
- Construction site negligence
For any claim alleging negligence, the law requires proof that:
- The wrongdoer owed a duty to the injured person to behave in a reasonable manner;
- The wrongdoer committed a breach of that duty by behaving in a manner that was unreasonable given the circumstances;
- That the wrongdoer’s breach of the duty caused the incident at issue; and
- That the injured person was harmed as a result. This element also requires the injured person to prove the extent of their damages – including the reasonable value of any medical treatment they received.
The injured person must be able to prove each of these elements by a preponderance of the evidence in order to prevail. Even in cases that may seem open-and-shut, the insurance companies and their lawyers will seize on any weakness in any one of these links. If they are successful in defeating just one of the four elements, the case will be lost. This is why insurance companies frequently point to pre-existing conditions as the explanation for your pain and medical expenses, or try to blame the victim for having been equally at fault in causing the incident.
In a personal injury claim, such as a slip and fall or wrongful death, there are potential legal pitfalls at every turn. That is why it’s so important to have an experienced team on your side. At Briggs & Wholey, our attorneys specialize exclusively in personal injury and understand the evidence and legal techniques needed to protect your case from the insurance company’s attacks.